Sample IELTS Speaking Topics
Part 1 of the IELTS Speaking Module consists of personal questions about you, your family, your work, your education or other familiar topics. A categorised list of such topics and questions is given below. Make sure you can speak correctly, clearly, and with ease and confidence in response to each question. Remember to make your answer interesting by providing more than the most basic information. Some of these sample questions are highly likely to appear on your exam, so review them well.
- Describe yourself.
- Describe your family?
- Do you have a large or small family?
- How much time do you spend with your family?
- What do you like to do together as a family?
- Do you get along well with your family?
- Are people in your country generally close to their families?
- Describe your hometown.
- What’s special about it?
- Where is your hometown located?
- Is it easy to travel around your hometown?
- What is it known for?
- What do people in your town do?
- What are the main industries in your hometown?
- What problems face your hometown?
- What languages are spoken in your hometown?
- What are the advantages of living in your hometown?
- What are some problems faced by your hometown?
- Compare your hometown with another city.
- What are some environmental problems faced by your hometown?
- Describe your education.
- What kind of school did you go to as a child?
- Did you go to a co-educational school?
- What was your favourite subject as a child?
- Who was your favourite teacher?
- What is the education system like in your country?
- Do you think your country has an effective education system?
- What are you studying now?
- What is your area of specialization?
- What do you do?
- What are your responsibilities?
- How many hours do you work each day?
- Do you enjoy your work?
- Is there some other kind of work you would rather do?
- If you could change your job or profession, what would you do?
- Describe the process of getting a job in your country.
- Describe the company or organization you work for.
- What is your position?
- What do you like about your job?
- What do you dislike about your job?
- Describe your home.
- What kind of building do you live in?
- How long have you lived there?
- Describe a friend.
- How long have you known each other?
- What do usually do together?
- What do you like the most about him / her?
- How often do you see each other?
- What’s the weather like in your country?
- Does the weather affect your mood?
- How do rainy days make you feel?
- What’s your favourite season of the year?
- What do you like to do when it’s hot?
- What do you usually do in the winter?
- How many seasons does your country have?
- Have you ever been to a wedding?
- Whose wedding was it?
- Where was it held?
- What clothes do people wear?
- Describe the wedding ceremony.
- What sort of gifts do people buy for the bridal couple?
- What kind of clothes did the bride and groom wear?
- Do you like to travel?
- What kind of places have you visited in your life?
- Which place would you really like to visit? Why?
- What’s the best place you’ve ever visited?
- Do you think computers help society?
- Do you think computers are bad for health?
- How do you think computers have changed the world?
- Do you use the Internet much during the day?
- What do you usually do on the Internet?
- What are some advantages of the Internet?
- What are some disadvantages?
- Do people in your country use the Internet a lot?
- Do you do any shopping on the Internet?
- Do you send and receive email regularly?
- Who do you usually communicate with?
- How often do you check your email?
- Do you think writing email has strengthened or weakened people’s writing skills?
- What are some disadvantages of email?
- Describe a place you like to go.
- Why is this place special to you?
- When did you first visit this place?
- Where is this place located?
- What language is spoken here? Do you speak this language?
- What do you feel about smoking in public places?
- Do you think smoking should be banned in people’s homes?
- What is the attitude toward marriage in your country?
- Do most young people plan on getting married in your country?
- What are some of the advantages of marriage?
- What are some of the disadvantages?
- Is the divorce rate high in your country?
- Do you think people should be allowed to get divorced?
- Do you have any hobbies?
- What are some of your hobbies?
- When did you first develop this hobby?
- What are some of the advantages of having a hobby?
- How much time do you spend on your hobby?
- Do you enjoy watching movies?
- What’s your favourite film?
- Who are your favourite actors?
- How often do you watch films?
- Do you enjoy shopping?
- How do you feel about shopping?
- Do you like shopping on the Internet?
- Do you have any favourite stores?
- What don’t you like about shopping?
- Which is the most popular place to shop in your hometown?
- Do you like sports?
- Do you enjoy watching sports?
- Do you enjoy participating in any sports?
- Which sports are most popular in your country?
- What’s your favourite sport/
- When did you first become interested in sports?
- How often do you participate in sports?
- What equipment do you need for your favourite sport?
- What are some of your favourite foods?
- What foods are popular in your country?
- What are some of the famous dishes of your country?
- Do you enjoy cooking?
- What’s the most important festival in your country?
- How do people celebrate this festival?
- What special food is associated with this festival?
- What special activities are associated with this festival?
- What do you enjoy most about this festival?
- Do you think festivals are important for a society?
- Do you watch television a lot?
- What do you usually watch on television?
- How many hours of television do you usually watch?
- What are the most popular shows in your country?
- What kind of shows do you like to watch?
- What are some advantages of television?
- What are someof the disadvantages of television?
- What did you last watch on television?
- Why do you think certain TV shows are so popular?
- Which places would you recommend to a visitor to your country?
- Do a lot of tourists visit your country?
- What do they usually do there?
- How has tourism changed your country?
- Is your country expensive for most tourists?
- What are some famous landmarks in your country?
- Describe your daily routine.
- What do you usually do?
- What do you do on the weekend?
- What is you typical weekday like?
- Does your life change much from week to week?
- Do you have any free time during the week?
- Which country are you from?
- Where is this country located?
- Which part of the country do most people live in?
- What are the main industries in your country?
- Is it easy to travel around your country?
- What type of clothes do you like to wear?
- What kind of clothes do people in your country usually wear?
- How important is fashion to you?
- What kind of clothes do you dislike?
- Do you think people behave differently in different kinds of clothes?
- What kind of clothes do people wear to work in your country?
- Are clothes expensive in your country?
- Do you like going out or staying at home?
- What do you like to do when you go out?
- How often do you go out?
- Do people in your country go out a lot?
- How and where do people in your country usually socialize?
- What kind of entertainment is popular in your country?
- Do you enjoy playing any games?
- What kind of games do you play?
- Do you think adults should play games?
- What do children learn from games?
- What kind of games did you play when you were a child?
- What games are popular in your country today?
- What kind of games were popular when you were young?
- Do you think mental games like chess are good for you?
- Do you have a favourite colour?
- What are your country’s colours?
- Do you think colours affect our moods?
- Can you learn anything about a person from the colours he / she likes?
- Do you like the same colours now as you did when you were a child?
- Do you like music?
- What kind of music do you like?
- When do you usually listen to music?
- What kind of music did you like when you were younger?
- What kind of music is popular in your country?
- Do you play any musical instruments?
- Do you wish you could play any musical instruments?
- Which is your favourite instrument?
- Why is it important to protect the natural environment?
- What environmental problems are common in your country?
- What can the government in your country do to deal with those problems?
- What technological innovations should the world develop to protect the environment?
- Do you think the youth these days care about the environment? Why?
- Environmental problems are too big to be dealt at the individual level? Do you agree? Why/ Why not?
Leadership and politics
- Do you think people are born to be leaders?
- Can leadership skills be taught?
- Why are elected politicians often so unpopular?
- What should a leader do to remain popular?
- Do you think unelected heads of state are a good idea?
- In your opinion what qualities a political leader should have?
- Do you agree that we learn best from our mistakes?
- What’s the best way to gain experience in life?
- Can we gain life experience from books and movies?
- Which is more important, experience or potential?
- What experience do you wish you had gained?
- Why do some people fail to learn from their experience?
Influence of television
- How popular is watching television in your country?
- Tell me about the types of programmes that are generally on television in your country.
- Why do people like watching television?
- Which one do you is better – state or private television? Why?
- What effects can watching television have on children?
- How the TV programmes differ now than that of 10 years ago?
Retirement and old age
- At what age should people retire from work?
- What problems can people face after their retirement?
- How important are retirees to your country’s economy?
- When should you start saving for retirement?
- Why do some companies encourage early retirement?
- Do you think the state should take responsibility of retirees who worked in private companies rather than government organisation?
- Is it easy to take good photographs?
- What are the pros and cons of digital photography?
- Should people share their photographs online?
- When can an image be worth a thousand words?
- Is a photograph a reliable form of identification?
- Is it necessary to take a course to become a good photographer?
- What is the purpose of gift giving?
- How has gift giving changed since your grandparents’ time?
- How important is gift giving in a relationship?
- What is more important when it comes to giving a gift, cost or effort?
- Do you think that people have become more materialistic when it comes to giving gifts, as compared to your grandparents’ time?
- How has modern technology changed the nature of gift giving?
The internet and social media
- What types of websites are popular among your generation?
- Is using the internet a social or solitary activity?
- How has the internet changed social behaviour?
- Should companies check job applicants’ online profiles?
- What will be the next big development online?
- How has the internet changed the way we communicate with others?
Influences on the young
- What type of people influence the young in your country?
- Why is it important to have role models?
- Do you think the education system in your country influences young people’s behaviour?
- What type of person (parents, teachers, friends etc) are best to influence young people’s behaviour?
- What do you think young people will be most influenced by it the future?
- Who do you believe have more influence on young children – parents or teachers? Why?
- What are the main environmental problems in your country?
- Why should people be concerned about the environment?
- How can people protect the environment?
- Do you think money should be spent on protecting animals?
- Do you think more should be done to protect natural beauty spots in your country?
- What can a government do to encourage people not to harm the environment?