IELTS Writing Task 2 Vocabulary
In writing tast 2, candidates need to use wide range of vocabulary and connective words (do not repeat the connective words). Candidates have to write answer with reasons and supportive example from their experience or knowledge. These points helps the candidates to get high band score.
Structure and Vocabulary for introduction: First, you should write a phrase or sentence related to the topic. Then, discuses the topic in brief from the main question or topic. In the last, you should mention the points which you will discuss in the paragraph 2 and 3, so that examiner can know in the beginning what you will discuses next and this helps to make connectivity in your task. Vocabulary for introduction: many people, some individuals, i believe that, nowadays, now, today, in the modern era.
Structure and Vocabulary for paragraph 2: You have to discuses your first point of view from your own knowledge or experience with supportive example. Without example you will loose your marks. Vocabulary for paragraph 2: first, firstly, first of all, to begin with, to start with, similarly, also, but, in particular, research shows that, furthermore, hence, to sum up, therefore, then, else.
Structure and Vocabulary for paragraph 3: You have to discuses your second view point from your own knowledge or experience with relevant example. Without example you will loose your marks. Vocabulary for paragraph 3: Second, Secondly, on the other hand, however, likewise, also, but, to paraphrase, research shows that, in addition, as a result of, in short or brief, last but not least, all in all.
Structure and Vocabulary for conclusion: You need to restate your reasons or link the conclusion to the main question and do not try to include any new idea in the conclusion. Also, give you opinion, if mention in the task. Vocabulary for conclusion: to conclude, in conclusion, to sum up, to summarise, overall, in my opinion.
Vocabulary which is commonly used in writing task 2
- Synonyms for example: For example, In particular, For instance, To paraphrase, To illustrate, such as, like, As an evidence, Regarding.
- Synonyms for comparison: Likewise, Similar to, Similarity, In the same way, Also.
- Synonyms for opinion: In my opinion, I think, It seem to me that, I suppose, From my perspective, I believe, According to me, I strongly agree with.
- Vocabulary for contrast: On the contrary, On the other hand, However, Nevertheless, Nonetheless, Although, Alternatively, Meanwhile.
- Vocabulary to bring up more ideas: Moreover, Furthermore, In addition, Also.
- Vocab to summarize at the end of a paragraph: In short, In brief, To sum up, To summarise.
- Synonyms for conclusion: To conclude, In conclusion, To sum up, Overall, In summary, To summarise, In a nutshell.
- Synonyms for people word: People, Citizens, Natives, Group, Community, Individuals, Persons, Mankind, Human being, Humans.
- Synonyms for country: Country, Nation, Kingdom, Countryside, State, Province, Native land, Native soil.
- Synonyms for government: Government, Administration, Authority, Cabinet, Executive.